Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Beginner Blogging Questions

How or where does one start a blog?

Before anyone starts a blog, I always encourage them to take a bit of time to sort out what it is they feel most passionate about and what they could talk endlessly about. That's most likely the best topic to start with.

If you want to test the waters with a free platform, that's a great way to go. Blogger is the one I choose.

MomGadget and my other "niche" blogs/sites are hosted through BlueHost and on the Wordpress platform. The cost is $95 for the year with each additional add-on site costing me $10.

How do you make money with your blogs?

I've been averaging over $4,000 per month for the last few months. It's taken me 8 years to get here and 90% of that income comes from my niche blogs/sites, not my work at home mom ones or even MomGadget.

My biggest Money Makers are listed in my sidebar - along with a few other individual products that I promote via my niche sites.

Can you have more than one blog?

I'd be lost if I couldn't. I'm currently sitting comfortable with 12 blogs. My husband said I had too many, so I let one go :)

How do you get traffic to your blog?

That's the most difficult part of blogging for me. There are several factors that go into luring traffic. It can be from networking, commenting on like blogs, making yourself visable on message boards, link exchanges and much more. That's where I put in most of my time - it's not so much the blogging itself.

If you can't dedicate at least one hour daily to networking to increase your traffic on top of doing the actual posting - which needs to be unique as much as possible, then you're probably not going to like blogging.

1 comments:

Adventures in Baby Fat said...

Hi, Gayla:

I've taken your advice and changed some things. Everything else is still a work in progress. I'm working on monetizing my blog as well.

After signing up with AdBrite, there was the proposal (or whatever it is called) for an interstitial ad. What's your take on these? Annoying?

My first inclination is to say no -- but it'd be money for the blog so I'm torn.

Thanks!!! You're insight is invaluable!