Monday, November 19, 2007

Interview with Freelance Writer, Brandi

What's your name and can ya tell me a bit about yourself? (not your job, but you)
My name is Brandi Rhoades. I have degrees in history and women's studies. I'm married with one son and one daughter. We are football fanatics and spend a lot of time doing lots of cultural activities with the kids - live music, museums, visits to nearby sites of interest.

How many kids do you have?

2 - a toddler and an infant

Tell me a bit about your business?

I'm a writer, which basically means that I'll produce copy for pay - no matter the market. (Well, okay, I have some ethical limitations.) I write for magazines, newspapers, websites, and self-publish a newsletter and booklets. It's gotten really busy lately and is very exciting.

Did you work outside the home before this?

Yes. I was a newspaper reporter before we decided to have kids. I stopped working full-time to freelance when I was 3 months pregnant.

What is the hardest thing about being a WAHP?

The scheduling is tough because I often feel I'm never giving my complete attention to my work or my kids.

Which do you prefer?

In an ideal world, I'd prefer a balance. I'd like to work 2-3 days a week outside the home and then be with my kids. I think for now, though, while they're so tiny, I love being with them but probably will be back to full-time employment when they go to school.

Are there moments where you wish you could work outside the home again?

Absolutely! I'm not known for my patience, and there are days when I dream about putting on a suit again and heading to the office.

How long have ya been a WAHP?

3 years

What made you decide to be a WAHP?

I worked 14-16 hour days routinely. "If it bleeds, it leads" is the guiding mantra of most of the world of journalism, so if it bleeds or otherwise happens at the last minute, some reporter has to go cover it. I didn't think that schedule would be fair to children, so I knew going in that if I wanted to have children, it would mean changing career plans.

How do you advertise it?

I simply put out my marketing materials as a writer. I don't typically advertise that I'm a work at home mom as it's not always viewed as a plus in my industry.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, you can try www.paid2click.tk to earn more money