Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Call Me a Freak

I always knew I wanted to create a forum where people who wanted to learn how to make money online, could.

I hoped to build a community where people would not know the meaning of intimidation - where they would benefit from linking just as much as I would.  I'd always felt that what makes a community stronger is the entire community working together for the common good.  Not a community that's filled with people who are forced to live within a mountain of restrictions and rules.

Today I visited and even joined a few forums that I thought would be similar in their purpose and was very sad when I realized that in big red letters there were rules EVERYWHERE telling members to post their ONE and ONLY link HERE because it's the only link you are allowed.  I kind of felt like I was in jail and was being politely offered my one and only phone call.

Then I go on, thinking to myself that I should give them a real chance and not jump to any conclusions.  I got to the place where I would upload my Avatar.  The one that is growing to be symbolic of me and realized I couldn't because it had one of my website names on it.

It was at that point that I realized that my friend Angela was RIGHT!  She'd urged me forEVER to create a forum for the little people - you know, US!  The ones that work hard to entertain, educate and inform other internet novices each and every day.

I guess I'm better off just staying within my own forum and focusing solely on what I hope to achieve.

Now, I'd like to ask you this... I currently have links placed to a couple of sites that I visited (I've told everyone that I visit, join, comment and click on those who link up) however, I'm not so sure they are going to want to link back to me.  Though it would be the polite thing to do, but I can certainly understand why they wouldn't.

If a site was going to make me seem like a controlling forum freak, I don't think I'd want to link either.

So what should I do?  Should I continue to link to sites/blogs that don't link back or should I rid myself and our forum members of their not so humbled existence?

Thanks for your input.  If I seem a little pissed, it's because I AM!  I think it's lame that some people run their sites in such a way, but then again, that's what's going to set mine umm OURS apart from everyone else, isn't it?

Technorati Tags : , , , , ,

6 comments:

Homemom3 said...

Oooh, I know one I can do. In about a month I'll do it. It'll make ya laugh, I promise. :)

P.S. Girl get some sleep. I took a nap around 10 a.m. and didn't wake up until around 2 p.m. akkk.

Homemom3

Anonymous said...

I think you link to what you think is a good resource for your readers. Worrying about whether they will do the polite thing or not is a waste of your energy.

Anonymous said...

Gayla, you are not a freak, rather someone with a passion to educate and succeed. Thanks for all your hard work.

Angela said...

Gayla ~

I'll be posting my response to this over here.

Angela said...

For those that don't do forums:

Hiya Gayla ~

I just wanted you to know that I read your blog post and can totally relate to how you are feeling. What you are experiencing has happened to me too which is why I about fell out of my chair with happiness when you told me you were going to put together a Mom forum for us little Moms with big ideas.

It’s hard enough trying to create an internet presence without feeling like you just purchased a one way ticket do a dictatorship. Ahh, but that’s the beauty of being able to choose how you want to spend your time, etc... ya know? Each forum owner certainly has a right to run their projects in a way they feel works best for their own best interests as well as the interests of their guests.

I can tell you based on my own Internet travels that I will be sticking with forums like yours and seeking out people that encourage the sharing of ideas rather than stifling them. And I think we all know what the difference is between spam and following the flow of a thread or starting a thread that coincides with the purpose of the forum.

As for the link back issues you bring up on your blog post... doesn’t everybody deserve a little bit of credit for their participation? I don’t look at linking back to good quality sites that link to you as a waste of energy. I see it more as a random act of kindness, but that’s just me.

For what it’s worth,

Angela

Anonymous said...

Hooray for Gayla!!
I just want to thank-you Gayla, you've given me hope that I can get my blog to make me some money in the future as well as possibly support my books business.

Don't let them get you down. I liked your site because there don't seem to be clicks formed... YET! the other sites I've been too are very clickish and sometimes they don't even answer.

I must admit I was SHOCKED when you put my measly blog links on your pages!! I had tears in my eyes because it was such a nice gesture AND it came without even asking.

Thank-you so much for all you do...
And my two cents for all it's worth is cut loose the other forums.