Monday, August 08, 2005

Why do I exist?

This question, as deep as it sounds, didn’t have me pondering long at all. I exist first and foremost to be a mother to my twin boys. Over the last seven years, I have been blessed enough to be able to become a work at home mom. Though there were many times as a single parent, we’d struggle to make ends meet, the rewards and benefits of being an at home mom have been by far, the most rewarding.

When taking into consideration that I do blog and maintain a couple of websites to make a living, I will admit I have faced many challenges by sticking firm to my values. There have been countless times that I’ve been approached by affiliate programs promising big profit, there have been many high, no HUGE traffic sites that have solicited link exchanges, but the little voice inside told me to stay away and not let the money become the whole reason I exist here online.

My web presence began in 1998 when I began to work in online support as a volunteer. From those efforts several opportunities would follow that would allow me to leave “Corporate America” and be a mom first and foremost.

I’ve always placed my situation in the hands of my God that he would provide what was needed so that I may be the best parent first and I have been very blessed.

Darren and others linked through Problogger have pointed out numerous times how important it is to remain focused on the topic at hand. I’ll be the first to admit there are days where I wake up and just don’t feel like the “advocate” and feel my energy is best served elsewhere. I’ve referred to this personality trait as “the many faces of me.” There are several things that I am very passionate about, but they all do not blend well on one site, therefore I created several blogs. This provides a means by which I can wake up each day, in any mood and still have something creative to say without confusing those who happen to read what I’ve composed.

Personally I think that is the most important thing to consider when laying out a plan to become a better blogger. Keep your passions separate. For myself, I developed blogs that let me be every woman I am – The mom/step-mom, the STD Patient Advocate, the Indiana Hoosier, the work at home mom, just to name a few. I’ve tried to keep them from blending as much as possible, because there are times where politics and religion come into play and like my grandma always said those are two things you don’t discuss in certain settings.

When laying out that plan to become a blogger, identify the many faces of YOU! Out of those many faces, what do you believe will be the most productive areas for you to write about? By that I mean what is it that you could write about for days on end and never tire of the topic? It is in that answer that you can find your success; if you stick to your goal of becoming a better blogger.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog and I figured you'd be interested in advancing your life a bit, call us at 1-206-339-5106. No tests, books or exams, easiest way to get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, Doctorate or Ph.D in almost any field.

Totally confidential, open 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!