Friday, January 26, 2007

Want Catchy Titles?

Angela from the other work at home blog touched on a topic that's honestly one of my occasional pet peeves when it comes to the blogs that I read religiously.

As far as I'm concerned, a catchy title is just as important as the content of the post itself.

I once was a loyal reader of one particular blog - until their titles became so much that I just couldn't stand it anymore...too many times of opening a blog and nothing worth reading was behind that one word title.

They use one or two word titles and honestly, that just doesn't cut it anymore. In fact, this blog used to have well over 1,000 subscribed readers and thousands of visitors a day - I've personally watched the huge nosedive their traffic has taken. It's all really sad to me - as a blogger that values my readership.

If you're like me and use a blog reader (I use Google Reader) - you know how important those titles are.

If the title isn't catchy I'm likely not going to click it to check out what's inside.

The title doesn't have to disclose exactly what the post is about even. It just has to pick my curiosity enough to want to see what's inside. But be careful - too many times of using an overly catchy title to lure readers to a lame post will lose your readership just as quick.

Are you paying close attention to your titles?

0 comments: