Monday, September 25, 2006

$4 prescriptions - finally something good coming from Walmart

Wal-Mart announced that it will make nearly 300 generic drugs available for only $4 per prescription for up to a 30-day supply at commonly prescribed dosages.  The program is available to customers and associates of the 65 Wal-Mart, Neighborhood Market and Sam’s Club pharmacies in Tampa Bay, Fla. area, and will be expanded to the entire state of Florida in January 2007.

Key components of the program include:

  • The $4 pricing will be available to all pharmacy customers with a prescription from a doctor that can be filled with a covered generic medicine.
  • This program will be available to the uninsured.
  • Insurance will be accepted.  
  • The program presently covers 291 generic medications from many of the most common therapeutic categories.  
  • The medicines represented are used to treat and manage conditions including allergies, cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes.  Some antibiotics, antidepressants, antipsychotics and prescription vitamins are also included.
  • The program will be available statewide in Florida in January 2007.
  • Wal-Mart intends to take the program to as many states as possible next year.

Though this benefit isn't available in Indiana just yet, I did check the pdf file available on Wal-Mart Facts to see just how many of my own families medications qualify - here's what I found.

As a family we use both allergy and antidepressant medications.  Though I didn't see the specifics that we use, if a program such as this were to become available in my area, I'd switch!  Check Wal-Mart Facts to view the List of available $4 generic drugs (located toward the bottom of the page.)

I think this is a brilliant plan on the part of Wal-Mart.  I know for myself personally, each time I visit the pharmacy, I end up spending far more simply because I'm there and often think of additional things I can pick up rather than making numerous stops.

As much as I've detested Wal-Mart over the years, I'd have to say this is one plan that might just alter my view of them.  But still, it's going to take getting the $4 prescriptions here in Indiana before I'll set foot in one.

What about you?  Think this is a good thing?  Would this change your shopping habits where Wal-Mart is concerned?

 

Technorati Tags : , , , , ,

0 comments: