Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Niche verses Universal

Earlier today I offered up the following advice to someone who was looking to do a universal topic blog - where every topic is a topic.

As a professional blogger and work at home mom of nearly 8 years, I can tell you from experience, when you get too many irons in the fire, you burn out quickly.

I write for or maintain 13 blogs of my own plus 2 websites. It can get overwhelming at times.

I’d tried to do an “all incompassing” site once, but it flopped in a big way.

I’d not recommend that you pick ONE niche and stick to it, but certainly no more than 5 or 10 in the “all things pondered” - I’d make categories for them to fall under - such as Internet, Family, Entertainment, Technology, Health & Science, Politics, Financial — just to name a few.

When the scope gets to broad, it’s difficult for your readers to keep track PLUS it’s difficult for you to keep track of where you’ve been.

Make sense?

Just a little helpful advice from an old hat.

I'm interested in whether or not other pro-bloggers share the same opinion or not.

Can a universal topic blog be maintained by one person or do you feel it will become overwhelming?

If you're a niche blogger, how many niche blogs do you have?

Technorati Tags : , , , ,

0 comments: